A break that includes fresh air can clear the mind and boost our spirits. Include a body of water in that break and the feeling is amplified. A trip to the beach might just be the prescription you need. Of course, we’re partial to Alabama’s waters and beaches on the Gulf of Mexico.
Studies show spending money on experiences rather than material things continues to make us happy for years to come. When you look at your vacation photos or see pictures of the beach where you stayed, the pleasant memories come back to mind.
Studies have also shown the beach is one of the best places to relax and relieve stress. We don’t need science to tell us we are more relaxed and happier when we are near water. Below is our list of five reasons the beach makes us happier.
- The rhythmic sound of the waves.
- Walking barefoot on the beach and feeling the sand between our toes.
- The fresh smell of the salty air. There’s no other scent like it!
- Being surrounded by the color blue, a relaxing color.
- The warm sunshine soaking into our skin and making vitamin D and serotonin is truly relaxing.
Making memories at the beach is easy when you travel Alabama’s Coastal Connection Scenic Byway. Plan some time to explore Coastal Alabama and spend a day or two – or maybe even a week or more – on the beach in Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. We know you’ll be happy you did.